Call for Abstracts
Abstract submission open: Wednesday, 18 March 2020
Abstract submission deadline: Thursday, 7 July 2021, 21:00 Central European Time
Authors are strongly advised to submit prior to the deadline and avoid unnecessary delays which may affect the standing of their abstract.
For any abstract related queries please contact the ESSO 40 Secretariat.
ABSTRACT POLICIES & REGULATIONS
With the submission of an abstract to ESSO 40 Congress, the presenting author:
- Accepts responsibility for the accuracy of the submitted abstract.
- Accepts to be the contact person for all correspondence regarding the abstract and inform co-authors of its status.
- Confirms that all authors are aware of and agree to the content of the abstract and support the data presented.
- Warrants that the data and conclusions presented in the abstract have not been published in the same format and with the same title prior to the date of the ESSO 40 congress.
- States that for all studies involving human or animal subjects, permission has been obtained from the relevant regulatory authority and informed consent given where appropriate.
- Identifies, obtains and discloses any financial interest in products or processes described in the abstract for all abstract authors. This includes stock ownership, membership on an advisory board or board of directors, corporate-sponsored research and other substantive relationships.
- Releases the copyright on behalf of all authors to ESSO and gives permission for the abstract, when selected for presentation, to be published in an issue of the European Journal of Surgical Oncology, as well as on the ESSO 40 website. The copyright of the abstract remains with the author(s).
ABSTRACT PREPARATION & SUBMISSION
The abstract must be submitted in good English. The Scientific Committee reserves the right to reject abstracts which are presented in poor English, or may request an immediate revision by the presenting author.
No more than 20 authors can be listed with only their institutional affiliation, city and country. Mailing addresses and academic degrees should not be mentioned. For co-operative study groups, the name of the group should be used instead of individual institutional affiliations or include the name of the group in the title of the abstract.
The title of the abstract should be concise and accurately describe the study undertaken. Do not use non-standard abbreviations and commercial names (generic names only).
Abstracts should be structured to include the following 4 sections:
- Background: introductory sentence specifying the purpose of the study
- Material and methods: brief description of relevant experimental procedures
- Results: summary of the results of the investigation
- Conclusions: a statement of the main conclusions
The abstract submission system will not accept abstracts that exceed 2900 characters (including body of the abstract, spaces and 1 table).
Only one data table is permitted in the body of the abstract. Illustrations and figures are not allowed and will be deleted if submitted.
Abbreviations may be used if standard or if spelled out and defined at the first use. Compounds should be mentioned with the generic name, in lower cases. Commercial names are admitted in the text, with an ®, and if in brackets following the generic name, i.e. “generic (Commercial ®)”.
Abstract submission procedure
Abstracts can only be submitted online. Abstracts submitted by regular mail, fax or e-mail will not be considered.
The abstract submission system for the ESSO 40 will only be accessible on the congress website.
Step-by-step instructions will be provided within the submission system. Submitters can edit their abstracts until the deadline.
An e-mail confirming receipt of the abstract submitted online will be sent to the presenting author within 1 hour. An abstract number will be allocated and should be mentioned for any queries relating to the submitted abstract.
ABSTRACT SELECTION PROCESS
Abstracts submitted for presentation at the ESSO 40 Congress will be reviewed by a panel of experts in the field of the subject and will be judged solely on the data submitted. The final decision on the presentation format of all selected abstracts lies at the sole discretion of the Scientific Committee.
The following presentation formats are applicable for the ESSO 40 Congress:
- Oral Presentation: the abstract is selected for oral presentation in a main programme symposium.
- Poster Presentation: abstracts for poster presentation will be displayed on poster boards in a prominent poster viewing area. The posters will be grouped by topic and displayed on an allocated day of the Congress for viewing during the lunch period to ensure delegates have sufficient opportunity to acquaint themselves with the presented data.
- Surgical Trial Protocol: protocol concept that will be selected for presentation in the “Dragon’s Den” workshop. During this session, 4 selected authors will have the opportunity to pitch their surgical trial proposal to a Panel of experts. The best proposal will be rewarded with mentorship support from the ESSO Clinical Research Committee to further develop their protocol.
Abstract selection notification
The presenting author will receive the result of the review and the Scientific Committee’s decision on their abstract by email by the end of July 2021.
Presenting author registration
Submitting an abstract for presentation at ESSO 40 does not constitute registration for the congress. Abstract presenters must register to attend the ESSO 40 Congress.
The presenting author of an accepted abstract will be allowed to register at early rate. Accepted abstracts will only be published in the Congress publications if the presenting author is registered and full payment has been received. Furthermore, the abstract must be presented in person by the author or co-author at the congress.
Presenting author replacement
If the presenting author of a selected abstract cannot attend, they should assign a replacement and immediately inform the ESSO 40 secretariat of the replacement.
ESSO cannot guarantee any request for withdrawal of an abstract that in any way delays the ESSO 40 publications. Requests to withdraw abstracts will be accepted until 28 July 2021. After this date, abstracts selected for presentation must be presented.
If the presenting author of an accepted abstract is not registered (including full payment received) by 28 July 2021, the abstract will automatically be withdrawn.
Please select one topic which refers to the main subject of the abstract.
Please note that abstracts submitted to topics Sarcoma, Melanoma and Head & Neck and Thyroid Cancer will only be accepted as Poster presentations.
- BREAST CANCER
- COLORECTAL CANCER
- UPPER GI CANCER
- HEAD & NECK AND THYROID CANCER
- HPB CANCER
- PERITONEAL SURFACE MALIGNANCIES